#MayDay – Occupy General Strike – May 1stPosted: April 22, 2012
ON MAY 1, 2012
Millions of people throughout the world — workers, students, immigrants, professionals, houseworkers — employed and unemployed alike — will take to the streets to unite in a General Strike against a system that does not work for us.
Don’t go to work. Don’t go to school. Don’t shop. Take the streets!
HERE IS OCCUPY HARRISONBURG’S MAY DAY, May 1st, SCHEDULE:
-5PM: Meet at the Zeebo for singing and potluck. Doug and Dave are preparing songbooks and tuning their guitars!
-5:30PM: “May Day! Reclaiming Our History” – talk by Occupy historian Michael Snell-Feikema
-6:00PM: Protest march around Court Square – we’ll stop by Bank of America with our “Battle of Jericho” horns and kazoos to bring down those walls being propped up by taxpayer bailouts.
-6:30PM: We’ll read our Declaration and Vision Statement on the steps of the Court House. Then we’ll have open people’s mic.
-7:00PM: Occupy Harrisonburg General Assembly
On May 1st, 2012, we are creating a new kind of holiday – A People’s Holiday – one that’s not just another flavor of consumerism, but which invites us to image a world beyond consumerism.
We ask you to do one of two things to commemorate this day:
- Don’t like what you do? Don’t do it. Take one day to do something you love instead.
- Love what you do? Do it for free. Take it to the next level and bring it to the public. -NYC General Assembly website
- What YOU can do on May Day from Occupy Together
- This Atlanta coalition’s site is devoted to May Day activities including a festival, a really, really free market, free food, teach-ins and live music
- Here is Occupy LA’s May Day website
- OWS May Day Directory – 115 cities currently participating
- Occupy Wall Street/New York City General Assembly May Day site includes posters, tri-fold brochures
- OWS held a public eight-week course on the history of May Day throughout the spring
- Occupy Congress has good posters and brochures
- OWS FaceBook May Day Event Page
- Yes! Magazine backgrounder on May Day
- Occupy the airwaves with May Day Radio
- A museums from Youngstown State University